Friday, March 5, 2010

You make me smile Mr. Simon!

One of my fondest memories growing up was being in the car with my mom. Just me and her. Coming from a big family, this wasn't an easy feat to get some alone time with her. One of "our things" was singing in the car. She always had 60's tapes and even a few other random ones we'd go through rotation but there was one tape in particular that I always gravitated to, that was Graceland by Paul Simon.

Paul Simon had this voice you'd find on Sesame Street dancing around with all the muppets. Not one of the songs on that beloved tape was a bad one. Within a month, I memorized them all and could sing along with the best of them. I think what capivated me the most was how he intertwined this folk sound with an African sound. It made me happy, even to this day, I hear that album and I fall back to that 8 year old, bopping my head and smiling from ear to ear.

So where did this all come from? My last.FM channel of course! It really is the highlight of my day when he comes into rotation. Now because I can't place every song on this post I love (it'd be the entire album) I will just place one. Enjoy!



Happy Friday!!!

No comments: