Friday, October 5, 2007

To Heck with traditions...

Throughout the entire wedding planning, I didn't want to certain traditions because they just didn't seem right for us. Some of the first traditions that were offed were the garter toss and bouquet toss. I know, I just got a garter, and in my defense, I bought specifically for my Future Husband to see! ;)

Another tradition I'm sorta bucking is the something borrowed and something old and that sixpence thingy in the shoe. I have everything. If I could borrow something and needed something old, it would have been my mom's mantilla (veil) but she doesn't have hers anymore. I guess I could still do these two things but honestly I just don't see the reason or fuss to it.

Ya, I know I have my something blue embroidered into my dress (it's my FI and my initials and our wedding date) and the garter is sorta blue-ish --I'm color blind so it looks green to me), and everything I have for the wedding is my something new.

Did y'all stick with these traditions? Is there really a point to follow them if you don't really care where they came from? I guess I'm at a loss, will I end up bucking these traditions or become a slave to the machine? I guess we'll see.

2 comments:

She's crafty, and she's just my type. said...

I say to heck with traditions, too. I'm getting some pushback from certain family members, but I really don't want to cringe through my wedding. The garter toss is definitely cringe-worthy (for me).

Laura said...

Screw tradition for the sake of tradition. If it's meaningful or fun for you, sure, go for it, but not just because you feel like you have to. I'm ditching the one about something old, new, borrowed and blue too. Well, I might just end up doing them all by accident (grandmother's jewelry is old AND borrowed, the dress is new...) but I am not going to go out of my way to make sure I meet all four requirements. I'm also not doing the penny in the shoe. Ouch!