Friday, March 4, 2011

The backyard... the evolution of our suburban homestead.

I always loved to garden since I was little girl.  During spring break in junior high and high school, my parents would buy me 6 packs of flowers to plant in the front yard.  I never thought about planting anything else.  That is what my mom did.  When I moved on my own, I never thought about it again.  It wasn't until we moved to our home did I toy with the idea of growing a vegetable garden.  Our backyard has been revolving since the year we moved in.  First it was just simple as adding some flowers.  Then we took the leap and with a good friend who knew a lot about all this stuff, he helped us add a retaining wall to start a small garden back in 2009. 
Then I got bored and needed to expand. I talked my friend into helping again and we added onto that:

Two years past (didn't do much last year since I was growing a baby instead!) and I decided that I wanted to do more and we added yet again...




In total now, the garden is about 30 feet long and two tiers to grow whatever we like.  Thank you Southern California for a good grow zone!!!

Then while we were borrowing a friend's chainsaw, we decided to cut down a tree (the one on the far right on this photo):

Planted a concord grapes, hung a swing for the Kupcake, laid pepples over the dirt (nothing grew here because of the tree roots) and turned the remaining area into our grilling area. (Note our mini compost bin to the right of the covered grill.  I asked for a heavy duty one for mother's day! ☺)


With all that, we done, we still have a container garden.  We decided to keep all the herbs together (except for basil since that is going to scattered all over the garden) near the door.


It's come such a long way sometimes I forget how little we started.  Right now, in the garden we have quite a few things growing:
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Artichokes
  • 4 kinds of Tomatoes (heirloom - 2 types, cherry, and grape)
  • Celery
  • Sweet Onions
  • Lettuce
  • Spinach
  • Kale
  • Swiss Chard
  • Strawberries
  • Bok Choy
  • Carrots
  • Garlic
  • Cabbage
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • 2 types of Grapes (Concord and Thompson)
  • Apple Tree
  • Orange Tree
  • Plum Tree
 This weekend we are going to add a few more blueberry bushes and perhaps toy with planting the corn too.  I want to make one more run to Home Depot to see if I can find a date tree.  I'm just in love with dates now.  We are also going to start a shade garden for the Cabbage family plants and hopefully I can get that up and running too.    

What are you growing anything this year?

No comments: