Wednesday, November 14, 2007

With these hands...

Our Ceremony was far superior than what I had imagined. I pictured readings that were just read, not felt. I pictured the minister to rush through it and it be so impersonal. I pictured myself crying the entire time. I pictured a wedding that I wouldn't remember.

What I got was a smiling bride and groom at times, readers who read from their hearts and meant every word they said, a minister who made me feel like he was my oldest friend in the world. I got a dream wedding. A friend told me when she saw me for the first time, when the doors opened up, I looked serious. What she didn't know is that I was trying memorize everything I saw so I wouldn't forget it. An aunt came up to us later and told us she never saw two people enjoy themselves as much as we did during the ceremony. She noticed how we kept smiling at each other. It's these little things people told us that made me remember more of that moment. And as much as everyone says that your day is a blur, it can be true. I'd have to say that about our reception, but our ceremony, I remember it all! There even was one moment where we were knealing infront of the alter and Father Jim was giving his homily. At one point he picked up something that was shiny and you could see your reflection. I saw me in my dress and my husband in his tux. I saw people behind me but couldn't make them out. I saw us getting married and if I had to lose every memory from that day and keep one, it would be that one.

During our Engaged Encounters (our mandatory pre-marital counceling), our host couple read this to us and it really hit home. Right then, I realized I wanted it to be read at our ceremony. It hit home on so many levels that I felt like I needed to share it with everyone. We asked his father and my sister to read it for us. Now I can share it with you!

The Hands of the Bride and Groom
My Sister reads:
Bride’s name, please face Groom’s name, and hold his hands, palms up, so you may see the gift that they are to you. (Bride and groom should be facing each other, the groom’s upturned hands resting in the brides’.)
These are the hands, young and strong and vibrant with love, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as he promises to love you all the days of his life.
These are the hands you will place with expectant joy against your stomach, until he too, feels his child stir within your womb.
These are the hands that look so large and clumsy, yet will be so gentle as he holds your baby for the first time.
These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes: tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
These are the hands that will tenderly lift your chin and brush your cheek as they raise your face to look into his eyes: eyes that are filled completely with his overwhelming love and desire for you.

His Father reads:
Groom’s name, please hold Bride’s name’s hands, palms up, where you may see the gift that they are to you. (Bride should now place her upturned hands in the Groom’s hands.)
These are the hands, smooth, young, and carefree, that are holding yours on your wedding day, as she pledges her love and commitment to you all the days of her life.
These are the hands that will hold each child in tender love, soothing them through illness and hurts, supporting and encouraging them along the way, and knowing when it’s time to let go.
These are the hands that will massage tension from your neck and back in the evenings, after you’ve both had a long hard day.
These are the hands that will hold you tight as you struggle through difficult times.
They are the hands that will comfort you when you are sick or console you when you are grieving. These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, for a lifetime of happiness.
These are the hands that will hold you in joy and excitement and hope, each time she tells you that you are to have another child; that together you have created a new life.
Perhaps these are the hands that will comfort you when you are told you cannot have a child, and will convince you that together you will create new life in other ways.
These are the hands that will give you support as she encourages you to chase down your dreams. Together, as a team, everything you wish for can be realized.

Clergy reads:
Dear Father, bless the hands that you see before you this day. May they always be held by one another. Give them the strength to hold on during the storms of stress and the dark of disillusionment. Keep them tender and gentle as they nurture each other in their love.
Help these hands to continue building a relationship founded in your grace, rich in caring, and devoted to reaching for your perfection. May Bride’s name and Groom’s name see their four hands as healer, protector, shelter, and guide.
We ask this in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you now and forever. Amen.


So with all the heart ache and tears I had dealing with the church people, my ceremony was a dream come true!

No comments: