In the midst of a chilly Cinco De Mayo, my desire for a crunchy taco dissipated into wanting soup. I had everything sitting there calling for me to make tacos so changing it up for tortilla soup wasn't going to cut it and the end result came out to a resounding success in which the kupcakes (aka the kids) cried out and signed "more more" while Mr. Planner was already up getting a second bowl full.
1 package of ground turkey
Taco seasoning packet
1 can of diced tomatoes with chilies
1 can of black beans
1 cup Shredded Mexican cheese (I used 2% as well as full -- half of each)
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour (I use whole wheat)
1 individual container of plain Greek yogurt (I used fat free)
1. In one pan cook and season (with salt and pepper) the ground turkey.
2. In a pot, stir melted butter and flour together until smooth (no lumps).
3. Quickly add yogurt and 1/2 cup of water until all mixed together.
4. Toss in shredded cheese and stir until smooth.
5. Add tomatoes, black beans, and cooked ground turkey and stir a little more.
6. Next add taco seasoning and 1-1.5 cups of water.
7. Let simmer for 10-15 before serving stirring occasionally (this helps prevent cheese from sticking to the bottom.
Serve with a dollop of Greek yogurt, a little more cheese (there can never be too much cheese) and a few crushes chips.