Thursday, May 3, 2012

coconut oil makes all your dreams come true...

okay, maybe I embellished it a bit but seriously, this stuff is all that and a bag of chips. 

A few months ago I was reading through google reader and saw someone was cooking with it.  Then it popped up again to relieve diaper rash (my daughter looks at an orange and breaks out... poor girl, she could eat a whole tree's worth if we let her).  Then read something about fixing cradle cap on newborns (dry scalp on babies if you didn't know what that was).  So one Sunday while we were doing our usual grocery haul at Trader Joe's I saw it and picked up a can.  At first I thought it was weird since it's hard but figured might as well give it a whirl. Worst case I can use it to massage little toes. 

  Coconut oil:

The health benefits of coconut oil include hair care, skin care, stress relief, maintaining cholesterol levels, weight loss, increased immunity, proper digestion and metabolism, relief from kidney problems, heart diseases, high blood pressure, diabetes, HIV and cancer, dental care, and bone strength. These benefits of coconut oil can be attributed to the presence of lauric acid, capric acid and caprylic acid, and its properties such as antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal, antibacterial, soothing, etc.
 Source

  First think I did was cook with it.  The hubby hates coconut.  HATES.  So what did a good wife do? Just not tell him I used it.  Low and behold he raved about dinner that night, mentioning something about multiple layers of flavor and how good it was (while licking the pan clean...). I kept cooking with it and every meal since he just adores more then before.  Score points for Coconut oil for cooking purposes.

  Next I used it on the burn I got while cooking, like magic the pain went away.  I wonder if this was in that little tin Katniss got (2 points for you if you got it, if you didn't, you must be the only person on the planet that didnt' read the books).  Used the stuff on my daughters and again, magic!  Bye bye citric acid burn/rash. 

  If you are wondering about it, get it.  Not because Dr. Oz did a whole show on it but because you like to cook or want a new massage oil. 

1 comment:

Linda said...

Ok, you convinced me. I'll pick up some next time I'm at TJ's.
Bonus points to you for using a Hunger Games reference :)