Friday, June 15, 2007

HONEYMOON...the sequel?


Since I'm planning ten different weddings in my head and only having one. I thought it was more than allowed to plan multiple honeymoons to go with them.

About a year ago a friend sent me a link to Where the Hell is Matt. Watching the video, I came across something rather unusual. It's Jellyfish Lake! Yes, that is jellyfish you see in the photo, and yes that is a real person.
Jellyfish Lake is a well-known dive site in the Pacific island of Palau. It is one of the rock islands, a series of small, rocky, uninhabited archipelagos off the coast of Koror. Jellyfish Lake is completely isolated, but in the distant past, it had an outlet to the ocean. The outlet was closed off and the high jellyfish population was isolated and started to feed on quickly-reproducing algae. Contrary to popular belief, the jellyfish of Jellyfish Lake do have small stinging cells, or nematocysts. However, because the stinging cells are so tiny, their sting is not detectable on most human tissue, so tourists can enjoy swimming with them much closer than would be possible anywhere else.

At night, the jellyfish descend into a layer of hydrogen sulfide which is found below 15-20m of depth. SCUBA diving in the lake is prohibited to avoid disturbing the jellyfish and also to reduce the risk of hydrogen sulfide poisoning.
Source

HOW COOL IS THAT? Okay, I don't dive (even though I want to learn) but I did try to figure out what other things I could do there other than dive if we did go on a honeymoon there. Sadly, it was mostly laying on the sandy beaches and diving in the blue lagoons around the Island. Yes, I know, that sounds AMAZING and all, but I can't stand laying on a beach more than an hour before I want to go on some adventure. And I know how diving sound amazing, but there is only so many fish I can see. So, in the meantime, this will be one of my imaginary honeymoons to go with one of my imaginary weddings I'm planning.

Do you have any places you'd like to go other than where you are ending up on your honeymoon?
Source of photo

No comments: